15/10/2013

A finished commission...

The second phase of 'Regenerated' is currently on display at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham. Below you will see my response to the factory... a hanging piece entitled 'Tat Box One'.

I took inspiration from the random contents of boxes and the variant shades of painted green found within the factory. I think of this piece as a layered wire painting exploring two and three dimensions. Whilst making the piece I felt I was taming clutter, exploring green whilst simultaneously pondering why these objects ended up together.




Finding a place to site contemporary craft within the factory without dominating or losing the piece completely to the environment was a challenge. I do like the way the piece can be read differently from the front and the back. From the front it reads 'green' and makes reference to the painted window frames. From the back you almost read a black 2-D print of the piece as you gaze against the light of the windows in the roof.



The new pieces made by Miranda Sharpe, Rajesh Gogna and myself will be on display within the factory at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter till the 11th January 2014